I have a custom NSTextAttachmentCell that does its work by adding
subviews to the NSTextView (e.g. NSButtons). This works fine.

What I can't get to work is cursor handling; I always get an arrow
cursor when the mouse is over my views. I overwrite resetCursorRects,
like this:
This doesn't help. Getting desperate, I tried implementing mouseMoved:,
but it's not even called

Overriding mouseMoved is unfortunately required if you want to customize the mouse cursor in NSTextView (see this post by the helpful Mr Davidson). However, as the docs state, your view must be first responder in order to receive mouseMoved events. Have you checked that?

~Martin