On 13 mar 2010, at 09.08, Tobias Jordan wrote:

> Yes, don't get me wrong, I trust the Apple docs, of course but I also know
> it's possible they are doing something wrong. I don't remember all cases but
> it always starts like this: I see something's not being freed, I try to free
> it, it doesn't work, I do a search on it and notice there are a lot of other
> developers saying this is an Apple bug and sending a bug report.

While it's impossible to completely rule out problems in Cocoa, it is as a
general rule not productive to start out by assuming that a discovered problem
should be caused by a problem in Cocoa. The Cocoa frameworks receive so much
testing, and have so many clients, that it is far more likely that any issues
are to be found in your own software. That said, if you identify a bug in
Cocoa, or its documentation, we very much welcome your bug reports:

        <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>

It is great that you're looking at your software product in Instruments to make
sure that it behaves correctly and as expected - More people should do that!
Keep in mind though, and considering the attempts at fixing found problems that
you mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that you can't propose solutions
that doesn't comply with the general memory management guidelines (for example,
you can't add extra calls to "-release" simply because you find an object that
you expected to have been deallocated).

> One example is the IKImageBrowserNSImageRepresentationType used for the
> IKImageBrowserView. No one knows whether it's some kind of a very clever
> caching but for now it is not possible to completely remove the image of an
> NSImage-browserItem within an IKImageBrowserView.
>
> What that means is -- I load like 100 images into my browser view, remove
> them, add another 200, remove them and the memory says 500 MBs or more. And
> that's nothing you can say 'Oh, don't worry it's all ok' about since my app's
> crashed this way. ;-)
> I guess, the reasons all other IKImageBrowserViews used in public 3rd party
> apps are working are a) the few images are too small for being a problem or
> b) the IKImageBrowserPathRepresentationType has been used which does the
> releasing very well.

Have you filed a bug report on this issue?

j o a r