I haven't followed this whole thread, but my experience is that an NSTimer
(especially a repetitive one) is an easy thing to leak, even in a GC
environment (which I use).  To prevent it, you have to make sure you keep a
reference to the timer so that you can actually invalidate it, taking it out
of the run loop.  Otherwise, it stays there forever.