On Apr 5, 2010, at 18:31, Graham Cox wrote:

> My app currently needs to show a progress bar during startup (Yes, I know -
> I'm working on a better solution so this isn't going to be needed at all
> longer term). The problem I'm having is how to set this up correctly with
> respect to its active appearance. Other apps generally seem to use a normal
> modeless dialog type window with the full height title-bar with the name of
> the app in it. I do that, and also put the window into the 'modal dialog'
> layer (also tried 'status window' layer).

Maybe you could do something hinky with a custom view that can become first
responder in the progress window, and arrange to make the document window main
but the progress window key.

How many document windows are opening? I wonder if a different approach might
make more sense to a user anyway: Display your freestanding progress window
*until* the first document window appears. Then get rid of the separate
progress window and, as each document window appears (one or more), display a
progress sheet on each document window, showing how close *that* document is to
being fully open and available. Something along that line.

> Also, while I'm on the subject, what is the "Non-Activating" checkbox in IB
> for NSWindow for? It doesn't seem to be listed as one of the flags in the
> Window Style masks.

It means that clicking on the window when your application is behind other
applications brings the window to the front, but leaves the application in the
background. (See NSNonactivatingPanelMask -- IDK if there's anything similar
that works for NSWindows.)