Hi Andreas,

the only alternative to custom drawing I know is using the setImage: and
setAlternateImage: methods of NSButton. These let you specify images for
unchecked and checked state respectively. You could generate colored checkbox
images with your own private method, something like

- (NSImage *)checkboxImageWithColor:(NSColor *)aColor isChecked:(BOOL)checked

and assign the images to your checkbox button instances. Implementing this
image generating private method shouldn't be too hard.

That's the path I would try first, but I never did this so please correct me if
I'm wrong!

Good luck!
Sebastian