Dear Cocoa-dev,
I'm trying to use a keyed archiver to manipulate a file without actually
opening it. Everything seems fine at first: I get the data, I copy it into a
NSMutableData object, I init a NSKeyedUnarchiver and get the data I need; I
create a new object with the old data (an array of dictionaries) with just a
couple of the keys changed. I dump the new array of modified dictionaries and
everything looks great. I then try to archive it using the following (where
theData is my NSMutableData inited with data in a file).

    masterOutArray = [[NSKeyedArchiver alloc] initForWritingWithMutableData:
theData];
    [masterOutArray setOutputFormat: NSPropertyListXMLFormat_v1_0];
     [masterOutArray encodeObject: myRecs forKey: @"codedDataArray"];
    [masterOutArray finishEncoding];
    [masterOutArray release];

The problem: The old @"codedDataArray" is not replaced! When I open the file
the old junk is all there. The old array is not discarded and replaced with the
new (myRecs) array. So I cannot use NSKeyedArchiver like an NSMutableDictionary?

Hoping for clarity and possible approaches....

Thanks,

Matthew Weinstein

Matthew Weinstein
Associate Professor of Science Education
Education Program
U.W. - Tacoma
253 692-4787

matth...@u.washington.edu