On 20 May 2010, at 15:45, Barry Skidmore wrote:

> If you need to have it set you should create an initWithOptionName: and call
> that from your standard init, or return an error stating a missing value is
> needed.
>
> Your init should always call down tithe most specific init.
>
> Specific examples of this are available as best practice in several cocoa and
> design pattern books.

I think you've misunderstood what I was asking.

If I use a setter (in the most specific init), then I don't need to recode
(even the most specific init) if I change how the property is implemented.

If I don't use the setter, I do.

What I was asking was why you would want to avoid using setters in the init
method... Is there some safety issue I've missed?