yes, you're describing what i want.
the problem is that a subview (page) of the main scrollview only calls
-drawLayer:inContext: if the user flips to a page, thus that
particular page moving into the view/becoming visible.
additionally, if the user scrolls through the pages very fast, no
content is visible until all CATiledLayers of a page's content gets
drawn calling the above method.
I am using CATiledLayers to improve performance during drawing and
zooming (each page can be zoomed, additionally).

rather difficult to explain, actually.
hope that was clear?

i think about adding/removing subviews like you do in your app - but
what about performance if the user scrolls fast?

thanks!

- m