>Everywhere, it is said that it should be handled automatically when adding the
subview to the window but it doesn't seem to work, at least not with my
controller layout.

My experience is that you have to wait until the window's primary subview
has itself rotated before you do any further interface configuration. I add
code like this to my main subview's controller:

- (void)didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation:
        (UIInterfaceOrientation)fromInterfaceOrientation {
    if (!didInitialSetup) { // once, at startup: set up interface
        didInitialSetup = YES;
        [self setUpInterface];

That way I don't create the nested interface until the main view has settled
down into its initial rotation. Otherwise, if I do things too soon, x and y
are reversed and everything is wonky after that. This trick has really
helped me with autorotation, though I don't know if it will be useful in
your case.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!