> I had a shrinkwraped OPENSTEP Enterprise 4.2 CD from March 1997 in my file
> cabinet, so I just installed it on a crap 1.83GHz Core 2 (not-duo) running
> Windows XP SP3.

I wonder how much value it lost when you removed the shrink wrap?

I've kept only two old computers with me over the years -- a Mac SE/30 and my
original NeXTstation color slab. I remember when working on those computers
that I really did feel like I was taking a significant step forward into the
future.

Objective C, NIBs, the basic AppKit architecture, and so much more that Avie
and those other key players brought us is those early days are still here in
one form or another. Those early developers were like prophets in the
wilderness when few were listening. Now I see so many Macs and iOS systems
being sold, and I feel like I can say, "Yes, they were right."

> Alternately, it is sad how little Cocoa development has improved in 13 years.

It took a lot longer to bring out Mac OS X than I expected after the
acquisition. We never got our "yellow box" for windows (with the promised free
runtime libraries). Display Postscript was ripped out. I remember feeling a
little afraid when Steve announced Carbon saying that the old Mac APIs were
still the company's crown jewels. It was not a straight line from OPENSTEP to
Snow Leopard and iOS 4, but we got here.

Today I have troubles imaging new things I really want in a future Mac OS
releases. If there is one thing I want, I guess it is a big push in resolution
independence. I don't feel it has gotten much attention since Apple first
announced it a few years ago. I think Mac OS X on retina display quality
monitors would be cool and truly immersive, but resolution independence needs
to be ubiquitous for that to happen.

Todd