I'm new and in the process of learning Objective-C and Cocoa.

I want to take some raw XML data, isolate, and convert to a string.  I seem to
be able to capture the data I want, but cannot seem to get into a string
format.  Actually, I will want in a NSMutableString format… but am keeping
things simple for now.

Here is an excerpt of my code:

The problem is at the end of the code below….  the string findAlerts is empty.
The NSXMLElement specificAlert prints correctly.

Thanks for your thoughts and patience….

Note: Previous initialization:
        NSXMLDocument *gameStatusXML;
        NSArray *myGames;

@implementation ScoreEngine

-(NSData *)loadData{

                NSLog(@"loadGameData executed");

                NSString *urlString=[NSString stringWithFormat:

@"http://mlb.mlb.com/gdcross/components/game/mlb/year_2010/month_08/day_17/master_scoreboard.xml";];
                NSURL *url=[NSURL URLWithString:urlString];
                NSURLRequest *urlRequest=[NSURLRequest requestWithURL:url
                                cachePolicy:NSURLRequestReturnCacheDataElseLoad
timeoutInterval:30];

                NSData *urlData;
                NSURLResponse *response;
                NSError *error;

                urlData=[NSURLConnection sendSynchronousRequest:urlRequest

returningResponse:&response

error:&error];

                if(!urlData){
                        NSAlert *alert=[NSAlert alertWithError:error];
                        [alert runModal];
                        return nil;
                }

                return urlData;
}
@end

-(IBAction)getData:(id)sender{

        ScoreEngine *holdData=[[ScoreEngine alloc]init];
        NSData *myMLB;
        myMLB=[holdData loadData];  // urlData passed to myMLB

        [myGames release];
        myGames=[[gameStatusXML nodesForXPath:@"//alerts" error:&error]retain];

        NSLog(@"myGames array size=%d",[myGames count]);
        NSLog(@"myGames=%@",myGames); // everything looks happy

        NSXMLElement *specificAlert=[myGames objectAtIndex:0]; // just focusing
on 1st element of array
        NSLog(@"specificAlert to start=%@",specificAlert); // everything happy

        NSString *findAlerts;
        findAlerts=[specificAlert stringValue]; // attempting to create a
string
        NSLog(@"findAlerts=%@",findAlerts); // no value… unhappy

}