[Dagnabit, did reply instead of reply all]

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 07:16, Brian Postow wrote:
>
>> so, are you suggesting that I manually control the "zoom-to-fit"
>> functionality, and change the size of the image as the window changes size
>> myself so I can keep track of the "desired display scale"? or is there some
>> other way of getting that?
>
> The desired display scale comes directly from the relationship between the
> size of the content view frame and the size of the (unscaled) image. It's
> hard to be more specific, because it all depends on what you're trying to
> achieve and how you're trying to achieve it. If you're trying to use a
> specific scale (like 100% or 200%), then you'll size the document view based
> on the image size, and the content view doesn't come into the calculation. If
> you're trying to zoom to fit, you'll size the document view based in the
> content view frame. Once you've decided the document view size, you'll
> arrange for the image to be drawn in the document view, scaled (in any of
> various possible ways) to the document view size.

What I want is 4 buttons: zoom in a fixed amount, zoom out a fixed amount
(currently 1.4% and .7%) zoom to fit, and zoom to 1-1 image pixel - screen
pixel. It would also be nice if I could display the current zoomfactor
somewhere...

>> So, the content view should go INSIDE the document view? I should have 3
>> views? a scrollview, a document view and an NSImageView?
>
> The view hierarchy of a scroll view *is* like this:
>
>       scroll view (NSScrollView)
>               content view (NSClipView)
>                       document view (whatever you want to use, possibly a
> NSImageView, or a custom NSView, or an entire subview hierarchy)
>
> (plus scrollers and rulers, if used).
>
> So it's just a matter of keeping the terminology straight. I was just
> pointing out the possible confusion, since it's really the document view that
> supplies what you'd normally think of as "contents", not the content view.
> Setting the document view to (say) a NSImageView is valid, but setting the
> content view at all is almost certainly a mistake.

Ok, the NSScrollView came with an NSView in it. I changed that to NSClipView,
and added an NSImageView in the clipview. How big do I make the imageview?
Currently, it's the same size as the clipview.

The way I'm testing is by zooming in on the image with: [imageView
scaleUnitSquareToSize: NSMakeSize(zoomFactor, zoomFactor)]

thanks

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems