Hi, A.M. :)

Here are some thoughts on why I went that way with AppKiDo.  Maybe they'll be
relevant to others considering a drawer.

* One reason I went with the drawer is that by sliding it in and out you can
change its width without affecting the layout of the parent window.  That
matters less to me than it used to, and offhand I can't give a solid reason
other than personal preference why it matters at all, but it does matter some.
I think it's appropriate that OmniWeb uses a drawer rather than a source list
for listing tabs.

* The HIG says "A drawer should contain frequently accessed controls that don’t need to be visible at
all times."  I'm torn about whether I comply with this.  Almost all my navigation in AppKiDo starts with
the search field, which makes it *so* "frequently accessed" that it almost does "need to be
visible at all times."  I actually didn't foresee how often I'd use the search field, but I don't think
it would have affected my decision to put it in the drawer.

* This could be splitting hairs, but I don't think the search drawer provides
hierarchical navigation the way a typical source list does.  The class browser
on top, if it was an outline view, would be the more the equivalent of a source
list.  (I considered but rejected the idea of using an outline view because I
think an NSBrowser is a better way to navigate the class hierarchy.  Those
aren't the only options, though.)

* One thing I've considered is using a source list plus some sort of unobtrusive
control on the left edge of the window that would allow resizing the window from that
edge.  I would like if the main Xcode window had such a feature, so I could widen or
shrink the Groups & Files pane without affecting the width of my source code pane.
This would have the disadvantage of pretty nonstandard.  Anyway my source code pane is
so wide I don't notice the change anyway, so I don't mind so much using the splitter to
resize the Groups & Files pane.

--Andy