Hi Stephen.

My issue:
When I search for an existing folder named "äöütest", it isn't found, until
I enter the search string not via keyboard to a search field in my app, but
copy it from the folder name in the Finder and paste it to the search field
in my app.

Some code here would help figure out what is wrong.

Well, it's not really *my* app, so I cannot provide code right now. :-)

Isn't NSString always NSString? Do I have to handle encoding in a special
way here? What is the encoding of fspecs in the Finder?

You shouldn't even be thinking about FSSpecs. FSRef or NSURL is the way to go.

Oh, I didn't mean FSSpecs, but simply file specs. Sorry. I will see what the FSRef and NSURL information tell me. Thank you.