On Dec 19, 2010, at 8:04 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Andy Lee <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
>> I can understand why Apple wouldn't use a bindings-based solution for this
>> example, since bindings is an advanced topic unto itself, but I think using
>> an NSTextStorage would be appropriate given the context.  Unless someone
>> spots a fatal flaw, I'll submit it as a doc suggestion.
>
> The reason they didn't use bindings here is because it's not
> appropriate for hooking up an NSTextStorage to an NSTextView.

To be clear, my original version, with bindings, used an NSAttributedString
(actually an NSMutableAttributedString, which may have confused matters; I
should have used NSAttributedString for the ivar).

I introduced the NSTextStorage not because I expected it to work with bindings,
but because I thought it was a design improvement to Apple's sample code.

> Bindings (really, KVO) can't deal with mutable value types. In the
> world of KVO, all changes mean that the actual object identity has
> changed, not merely the value it contains.

Indeed, the V in KVO refers to the object's identity and not its contents.  But
if I go back to the bindings approach and turn on "Continuously Updates Value",
I can see from NSLogs that the setter for the ivar gets called when I make any
change to the text, even though the id of the ivar has not changed, only its
content.  So NSTextView's attributedString binding seems designed to work the
way I would want...

...*except* for that bit about scrolling to the top when I do a Save.  And I
just discovered this only happens if the text view had first responder at the
time of the Save.  If I select something else in the window and *then* do a
Save, the text view stays right where it was.  I think this must be a bug.
Unless someone can explain why it isn't, I'll file a Radar.

--Andy