Richard, here is the code I am using, here x, y, i are variables that define the label position and text.

If I comment this snippet, my view is working well. So I am sure that there is something in these lines that needs to be done properly, which I don't know ;-)

NSTextField *PatternStepLabel = [[NSTextField alloc] initWithFrame:NSMakeRect(x, y, 20, 20)]; NSString *PatternStepLabelString = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%d", i];

                [PatternStepLabel setEditable:NO];
                [PatternStepLabel setDrawsBackground:NO];
                [PatternStepLabel setSelectable:NO];
                [PatternStepLabel setBezeled:NO];
                [PatternStepLabel setAlignment:2];
                [PatternStepLabel setTextColor:StepColor];
                [PatternStepLabel setStringValue:PatternStepLabelString];
                [PatternStepLabel setFont:[NSFont fontWithName:@"Courier"
size:8.0]];
                [self addSubview:PatternStepLabel];

                [PatternStepLabelString release];