> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:18:04 -0500
> From: Scott Anguish <sc...@cocoadoc.com>
> Subject: Re: Help on Cocoa Class references
> To: Leanne Attard <leanneatt...@yahoo.com>
> Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
>
> I‚m surprised nobody else mentioned this.
>
> The Java bridge isn‚t supported and you can no longer write Cocoa apps in
> Java. So you‚re much better off learning Obj-C or going fully Java. Or even
> Ruby
>
> Apple won‚t even be shipping Java with the OS in the future (there was an
> announcement about this recently). You‚ll need to get it from Oracle (who
> Apple transferred things to as I recall in another announcement)
>
> All Java Class References which may have existed (and only for public
> classes, none those were as I recall) are gone. The process for creating
> those docs are gone. We no longer support or generate them (I‚m in the
> documentation department).
>
> Sorry to be a wet noodle.

Java 6 is still available and it is not deprecated. It provides the
com.apple.eawt. The list of deprecated classes and methods of that package is
here:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Java/Reference/JavaSE6_AppleExtensionsRef/api/deprecated-list.html

Mac OS X port of the Open JDK 7, that has contributes from the original Apple
source code, since the begin of january, also has com.apple.eawt package in its
project status page.

Though, I think we should concentrate on the Leanne's goal. She wants to draw
over a Java AWT component using OpenGL and she wants to handle mouse events
(and probably keyboard events).

The only way to use OpenGL to draw over a Java AWT component is to implement a
JNI based interface.
Probably Java AWT components, in the Mac OS X implementation of Java, are
already implemented through JNI and are probably derived from Cocoa native
components (like NSView).
So, probably, Leanne does not need to implement its own NSView and place it
through CocoaComponent in the AWT window.
What she need is to initialize a NSOpenGLPixelFormat and a NSOpenGLContext,
using JNI and providing JNI functions to create, access and manipulate these
objects. Furthermore she needs to implement JNI functions that wrap OpenGL
interface. The rest of the operations can be done in pure Java code (included
event handling).

Since this is a long work and there are "ready to use" OpenGL Java bindings
like LWJGL or JOGL, I suggest to use them.