On 2011 Feb 10, at 18:37, Gordon Apple wrote:

> The error handles gives 10 console messages, "The operation couldn’t be
> completed", which is the exact number of records in the test database.  So
> something is definitely going awry in the mapping.

Log these errors' -userInfo.  In particular, look for an NSUnderlyingErrorKey.

> OK.  I've identified the problem.  The one new entity relationship in
> mainEntity is not optional.  Changing it to optional allows lightweight
> migration to work.

I **never** use non-optional properties, because of all the corner cases I've
seen while the object is being built up or torn down, and Core Data finds a
non-optional property to be missing and has a seizure.

> However, that has its own issues.  I had it non-optional
> for a reason. It is essential in the new database.

Well, then, write your own code to do the validation.  Another reason not to
use non-optional properties (Core Data's built-in validation) is because when
Core Data finds such a property missing, it *displays* an error dialog with an
inexplicable message to your user.  No.  Write your own validation code and
handle your own validation errors.