On 25-Feb-2011, at 12:06 AM, Ken Thomases wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Roland King wrote:
>
>> Were there one designated initializer for a UIView, I'd put my
>> initialization code in there, knowing that everything would end up going
>> through it. However UIView's (and possibly other classes) don't have a
>> designated initializer, they can be called with initWithFrame: or
>> initWithCoder: depending on whether they were initialized in code or
>> unpacked from a NIB, hence I want to put my per-instance initialization code
>> in one place and call it from both of those.
>
> So, your class _does_ have a designated initializer.  Therefore, all of its
> subclasses should follow the appropriate patten when subclassin
>
> Any class or yours which directly inherits from UIView should cover
> initWithFrame: and initWithCoder: and invoke its designated initializer.  Any
> of its subclasses, though, should only invoke [super
> yourDesignatedInitializer:...], not [super initWithFrame:...] or [super
> initWithCoder:...].  (Such a subclass may or may not cover -initWithFrame: or
> -initWithCoder:, as needed, but should forward to its designated initializer,
> which would call down to super's designated initializer.)

Ah yes I see - you're right - I've replaced the UIView's initializers with my
own by doing this, and I understand why any subclass of my class should
reimplement the UIView initializers calling the new designated initializer I've
now forced upon the class.

> Non-dynamic dispatch is done with C-style functions.  If a function is within
> the @implementation, then it has all of the same access rights to instances
> and their variables.  You can pass 'self' as a parameter and then use
> 'self->ivar' to access your ivars.

I think I'm going to do it this way in this instance however. I'd like to keep
the UIView subclass being a drop-in replacement for a UIView and having a user
(even if it's only me next month) have to use it by calling an entirely
different init method is a bit orthogonal to that. I suppose all I was really
trying to do here is avoid typing the same initialization code into two init
methods, by factoring it out into its own routine, this is a rather nicer way
of doing that and a pattern I shall follow from now on in such cases.

Thanks for the reply Ken (and Kyle).