On Mar 11, 2011, at 03:24, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> OK. In the future, is 'bt full' preferred?

A simple 'bt' is sufficient, plus copying and pasting the relevant log messages.

> Do you have any recommendations on Mac OS X internals?

Not really. It depends what you're looking for. *Really* delving into the
internals, in the sense of writing code that depends how things are
implemented, is a mug's game because the implementation can change. Mac OS X is
a bit different from Windows in this regard.

Getting familiar with Apple's documentation is by far the best strategy because
what's documented is (or can be assumed to be) the API contract that Cocoa
conforms to. If you go beyond what's promised there, you risk having your
application crash, soon if not now.

Comments in the Cocoa header files are often instructive, although the official
documentation has mostly caught up now. (NSKeyValueCoding.h remains, for
example, a fount of information that's spread out or hard to find in the
documentation or not documented with such rectitude elsewhere.)

We delve into internals quite a lot on this list, sometimes from pure interest,
sometimes because we're trying to figure out if a behavior is an undocumented
part of the API contract, or accounted for in the documentation but we didn't
understand it, or an implementation detail we shouldn't rely on.