Is there a way for me to tell if a particular file is open in another
application?

I have a feature I'd like to provide to my users that involves encrypting files
that belong to other apps (i.e. my application can encrypt/decrypt a Word or
Excel file).  I want to prevent the user from encrypting or decrypting the file
if it's open (i.e. the file is open in Word).  I would like to display a dialog
box that says something like "myWord Doc.docx is open.  Please close it and
continue."  I've found the ability to find running applications and I've found
commentary that says what I'm asking for is not possible.  I couldn't find
anything in NSWorkspace or NSFileManager to help unless there's a file
attribute I don't know about that can tell me.  Any ideas?