On 23/03/2011, at 20:55, WT wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2011, at 8:46 PM, Siegfried wrote:

>>> How about using a property list file instead? Easier to import and export,
>>> and can be edited with tools such as Property List Editor, though your
>>> users might not know how to use it, or even have it.
>>>
>>> WT
>>
>> I was considering using it initially, but as you've stated that would make
>> things a bit more complicated when it comes to editing. XML would be ideal.
>> Also, the final file would be less verbose (not filled with nested dicts and
>> key value pairs).
>
> If you save your property list as XML and not as a binary file, then it's
> still XML and can be edited equally with PLE or any text editor (though
> maintaining its property list format may be a challenge for your users). As
> for how verbose it would be, a simple structure such as what you mentioned
> shouldn't produce anything overly verbose, I think. I suggest you try some
> simple tests to see how you like the results.

I agree. Editing a XML plist is not difficult, and can be done with no problems
in a standard text editor — users may not have problems. I'll be working on
some tests as you suggested.

>> I really don't know when it comes to building the system. Do you think it
>> would integrate with CoreData better? Or just mean less code to write? The
>> latter case is not a problem though :-)
>
> I'm not entirely sure because I'm relatively inexperienced with Core Data but
> I suspect that it would involve much less code than having to parse the input
> file yourself.

Yes, parsing is the "laborious" part. I see calling a method on NSDictionary to
read the plist is a lot easier :-) but now just tests may reveal the next path
to take. At least, I'd get the validation stuff for free.

Thanks again WT,

Best regards,