On Mar 30, 2011, at 11:14 PM, Sasikumar JP wrote:

> I am new to iOS Audio Technology.
> I am developing an application which will play streaming audio(mp3), planning
> to add some effects like iPod Equalizer,Pan Control.
>
> I have tried to use Matt Gallagher's AudioStreamer API
> (http://cocoawithlove.com/2008/09/streaming-and-playing-live-mp3-stream.html).
>
> I was able to play the streaming audio. but i was not sure how to add the
> effects using AudioQueue .
>
> From Apple Documentation, i understood that AudioUnit can be used to add
> Effects. But streaming format should be in Linear PCM.

Audio Units are hosted in an Audio Graph, and they use a different API than
AudioQueue. To get linear PCM into your audio units, you'll have to use an
instance of AudioConverter to convert between mp3 and linear PCM. Apple's Audio
Unit Hosting Guide has a pretty good example of how to set this up:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/MusicAudio/Conceptual/AudioUnitHostingGuide_iOS/Introduction/Introduction.html

In the callback function that provides the audio to the graph, you call
AudioConverterFillComplexBuffer and associate a callback there to provide the
audio converter with the mp3 data.

Keep in mind that the number of out-of-the-box effects available to iOS is
limited.

Good luck,
Hank