On Apr 5, 2011, at 22:54, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> After following Steps 1 - 4, what is the layout supposed to look like under
> IB?
>
> + File Owner
> + First Responder
> + View
> + Scroll View
>   + Control 1
>   + Control 2
>   + ...
>
> Or
>
> + File Owner
> + First Responder
> + Scroll View
> + View
>   + Control 1
>   + Control 2
>   + ...

The second, not the first. Note that IB lies to you -- this isn't the view
hierarchy. The scroll view is the parent of 3 views: the clip view view, and
the 2 scrollers. The clip view is the parent of the "document" view***, which
is the (single) view that actually contains your content.

> When I get to step 3 and [loosely] follow "Choose Layout > Make
> subviews of > Scroll View", I get the first layout (View is parent of
> ScrollView). But no scrolling.

Almost certainly your problem is that you failed to set the autoresizing
springs correctly for the "document" view. In the simplest case, it should be
anchored on all 4 sides, and be stretchy in both directions.

*** That's what the documentation calls the scroll view's content view. It has
nothing to do with NSDocument, except that perhaps originally it was shorthand
for "document contents" view. I think the clip view has another name in the
documentation too, but I've forgotten what it is.