On May 22, 2011, at 11:52 AM, James Merkel wrote:

> I would like to add a capability to an application to search
> directories and sub-directories eventually opening all image files
> (basically using NSDirectoryEnumerator).
> Obviously, I can't allow the user to start at say the volume level and
> do the search. However as far as I can tell, there is nothing in
> NSOpenPanel for example that prevents the user from starting there. I
> was trying to come up with a way to prevent the user from starting at
> the wrong place. (Putting up an Alert that says you can't start
> there). There's a method in the NSFileManager class called
> isDeletableFileAtPath. I am thinking that all of those volumes and
> higher level directories that I want to avoid are not deletable.
> Therefore I could use this as a filter. The only other approach might
> be to limit the search to a certain depth (maybe 10 or 20
> directories). However that seems kind of mickey-mouse. Should I be
> looking at the lower level File Manager Reference for some help here?
>
> Has anyone come up with an approach for this?

I have done these types of searches. I could not figure out how to set up the
security stuff of entering passwords. You could try the following which should
not be too hard to code. I figure everyone has the right to look at what they
own so limit the searches by starting them at the user's home file
(/Users/"ownerName"). You could test the file name for this "prefix" & proceed
if the test passes. You can use the NSString method "hasPrefix:" to do the
test. You can probably find the home directory, though I have not tried this
lately, by using Foundation functions. Try NSHomeDirectoryForUser(NSUserName())
& see if this helps. Of course, it won't help if you are looking at a flash
drive! Good luck.