> Oops - I meant to say it's an NSMutableDictionary!
>
> What might a quick stubbed example of that be? Not sure I am following. How
> much speed would it generally gain?

Simple example. Init a NSMutableDictionary. For each string, compute a hash key
as the sum of all chars composing it (in a short or int), divide it by 8
(that's quick). This way, all the words that differ by just one char being
exchanged (metathesis), or look more or less the same, will get an identical
hash code.

In your mutable dictionary, use the hash key as the key, the object being an
NSMutableArray where you put all the strings that share the same hash key. Then
use the contents of this NSMutableArray as proposals for your user. That should
be really fast. Refine the process if you need more grain.