On 2011 Jul 30, at 21:09, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>
>> +[NSKeyedArchiver isEncodeable:(id)object]
>> +[NSKeyedUnarchiver isAValidArchive:(NSData*)data]

BTW, I forgot to mention those methods should return BOOLs.

> Neither of these are feasible without actually running the archiving,
> including calling all of the arbitrary -initWithCoder: and -encodeWithCoder:
> methods. So they’d have all the same issues we’ve been discussing so far —
> they’d have to use a try…catch block around the [un]archiving, basically.

I don't think so, Jens.  "They" is Apple.  Apple has the source code for
-initWithCoder: and -encodeWithCoder:.  They could remove the lines of code
where those exceptions are created and return NO instead.

Anyhow, Apple is smarter than me, and they've clearly got the resources to
handle this as well as fix the more important bugs in Lion that I'm holding my
breath waiting for them to fix :))

So I filed an Enhancement - Apple Bug ID# 9870474 asking for those two methods.