While this certainly is a nifty feature (thanks Chris, hadn't known about that
yet), it's in no way a replacement for having proper live in-editor previews of
your actual interface objects.
While it allows you to save a couple of lines of code per object, it at the
same time—instead of giving you a visual clue—hides them in an inspector.
Easily missed by somebody else who's not familiar with your project and
wondering "why the heck does this custom object get that property assigned,
where is the code?!"

Being a former intensive user of IBPlugins (and contributor to BGHUDAppKit) I'd
love to know how the devs of apps like Pixelmator, Kaleidoscope, Capo, do their
UIs since Xcode 4. Any of them reading this by any chance?
Or the folks in Apple's FCPX/Aperture/… teams. I can hardly believe that those
guys actually hand-code their custom UIs, which they clearly have plenty of.
They aren't using code, are they?

Being unable to use custom UI elements in XIB kind of kills the whole purpose
of having an Interface Builder (even more so a tightly integrated one,
nowadays) in the first place, doesn't it?

So, why remove IBPlugins in the first place, I wonder? Internally Xcode appears
to still be using them after all, making Apple's decision even less
understandable to me (and lots of others I guess).
It looks like Apple turned IBPlugins from being public and recommended API into
some kind of forbidden exclusive "private API" for some obscure and apparently
political reason. Kind of a dick move, no?

Being a free ADC member I'm unfortunately very sparsely informed about Apple's
stand regarding IBPlugin's assassination (only through dev blogs & twitter).
Could anybody give a brief summary of Apple's stance regarding the future of
custom UI in XIBs and/or IBPlugins and Apple's official reasonings for the
removal of IBPlugins?
Also shouldn't there be some kind of a "IBPlugin Transition Guide" for those
who highly relied on them? This is all one can find about IBPlugins these days.
It's like Apple is rewriting the past. As if we had always been at war with
Eastasia.

- Vincent

Ps: Sorry if this has been asked over and over before. I'd have loved to, but
couldn't RTFD.
<rant>And those silly closed up forums (hey, I too signed the NDA, still get no
access to them) aren't helping much either. Also, paying for a forum,
seriously? </rant>