It looks like Apple's current answer is to programatically create the custom elements. I find this interesting considering the roasting I took some time back when I wrote in about a problem I was having programatically creating a custom element. I remember a lot of dogmatic evangelism about always using IB. Everyone was more concerned with converting the sinner than in finding the problem, which, by the way, was a finger-check. I had what I considered to be a good reason for not using IB, since I needed to create an arbitrary number of elements determined at startup time, with some dynamically-specified attributes. I have since discovered that part of my objections to using multiple instantiations of a NIB were caused by a side-effect which I don't think is adequately documented, but I would have to do it the 'manual' way anyway, except for the fact that under current conditions I am stuck in 10.5.8 and IB 3.1.4 until a rich uncle dies and I can afford the multi-k$ outlay for a *@*@* Intel machine.

Dale Miller