On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:26 , Michael Crawford wrote:

> I'm working on touch based museum exhibits, which run on Mac mini's.  Suffice
> it to say I don't want to allow the movement of text.
>
> On Aug 16, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Michael Crawford
>> <michaelacrawf...@me.com> wrote:
>>> I have a window that contains an NSTextField instance.  When the textfield
>>> contains text, I can select it with a single click.  I want to preserve
>>> that behavior.  When I click (mouseDown) and hold, the cursor changes to an
>>> arrow and drag-and-drop (d&d) is initiated.  I want to disable this
>>> behavior.

This (your latest comment) would have been good information to include in your
original post.

Based on that information, it's clear that the real problem here is that you're
abusing NSTextField. The real solution is to rethink your UI conceptualization.

If your touch target (the text) is actually behaving as a button, then you can
use a borderless NSButton.

If your touch target has slightly more idiosyncratic behavior -- it's like a
button but NSButton doesn't do exactly what you want, or it's not like a button
at all -- then you should be writing a custom control.

Keep in mind that "selecting the text" probably isn't your users' conceptual
framework. They are probably thinking in terms of "getting details on that
topic" or something of that sort. Translating that directly into a Cocoa
concept such as a selected NSTextField is probably a little too reductive.