> I'm looking at popovers. I'm wondering if there is any way that I'm
overlooking to make popovers modal.

The UIViewController that you present in the popover has a property named
modalInPopover:

"The default value of this property is NO. Setting it to YES causes an
owning popover controller to disallow interactions outside this view
controller while it is displayed. You can use this behavior to ensure that
the popover is not dismissed by taps outside the popover controller."