On 8 Nov 2011, at 13:45, Gary L. Wade wrote:

> That's how it's always worked. One can argue that Apple should ask the user,
> when moving a more-specific locale (en-GB) away from a less-specific locale
> (en), if the less-specific locale should "stick around" and be moved up into
> the intuitive order following the more-specific locale. Naturally, such an
> argument should be voiced as a radar feature request.
> --
> Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPhone)
> http://www.garywade.com/

I am not quite sure that you are correct.

1. I tried some of my own apps and they (if not having en_GB) just use en.
Never use de.

2. I found "Internationalization Programming Topics" → "Language and Locale
Designations" → "Language-Specific Project Directories" which says:
"In Mac OS X, the bundle routines look for the requested resource in any
region-specific directories first, followed by more generalized language
directories."

I guess this means: Mac OS X looks for en_GB first, then, if not finding it,
looks for en, then for my other language preferences (like de).
Which is what my own apps do.
And what NSFont does not.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.