Using properties significantly increased the size of my executable
file.  If I had something like this:

float a = [self foo: self.scale];
float b = [self bar: self.scale];

I could cut down the size of my code quite a bit by caching the return
value of self.scale:

float theScale = self.scale;
float a = [self foo: theScale];
float b = [self bar: theScale];

Now just removing one of two getter calls by caching its result won't
have that much effect on binary size, but the other night I went
through my code to do the exhaustively.  The size decrease was quite
significant.

Using properties when a simple iVar would do is not justified.  One
wants to use properties only when the generated code significantly
reduces the amount of work one has to do as a coder, for example by
automagically taking care of retain counts.

Calling accessors is also quite slow compared to a direct iVar access,
because it has to go through Objective-C's message dispatch mechanism.

Focussing on interface is no excuse for weighty, bloated code!
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation