On 16 Nov 2011, at 11:31 AM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:

> objc_msgSend is slow as Alaskan Molasses compared to a simple C function call.

Cocoa uses Objective-C for I/O and user-interaction libraries, to respond to
events that take place over periods of milliseconds.

For those purposes, I can't weep for calls that take hundreds of nanoseconds
instead of tens. If you need C/C++ speeds, by all means use those languages and
write your ivars directly.

In my experience, obsessing on objc_msgSend for performance optimization is a
fool's errand. Filter out system-library samples (they get reattributed to your
own code). That will tell you where to optimize _your_ code. If that means
factoring message sends out of inner loops, at least you'll know.

        — F