Op 19 nov. 2011, om 17:00 heeft Frederic Testuz het volgende geschreven:

>> At the moment I cannot find an acceptable way to merge changes from the main
>> thread into the background thread context. Is there a solution for my use
>> case?
>>
>> I could probably try to extend a solution with locking, but it will be error
>> proneā€¦
>
> If you can limit yourself to 10.7 have you look at the changes of
> NSManagedObjectContext. You can now have parent-child relationship between
> contexts. A save: on a child context will propagate to the parent context,
> not to the persistent store. And a fetch: on a child context is done through
> the context to the parent context (if I understand correctly).
>
> I did some tests with a parent context for UI inited with
> NSMainQueueConcurrencyType and a child context inited with
> NSPrivateQueueConcurrencyType. The changes in the child context are
> automatically reflect in the UI after a save: on the child context.
>
> Look at the release notes for Core Data for Lion.

Thanks for the pointer. I cannot use / require 10.7 at the moment, so I've not
looked at the latest additions.

Parent / child contexts seem like a useful feature. Even so, I think it would
not help me in my program: my 'main' context (the one that is used for editing)
is the one in the persistent document. The 'child' context is held by the
background and is used 'read only'. The information must flow from the main
context to the background context. All examples seem to assume editing in the
background and updating the main context.

patrick
--
Patrick Machielse
Hieper Software