Hi,

I've the following problem:

I'm writing an application which will display plots / graph: an NSOutlineView
has been setup and working which displays the name, location
of some scientific instruments (like thermometer, voltage etc.).

The instrument's name is selectable as an NSButtonCell, the idea is to turn
on/off its respective graph / plot.
So there's a mix of NSButtonCells along with NSString in the NSOutlineView.
My model's NSButtonCells are based of NSMutableDictionary which will change the
integerValue of NSButton for their resp. key, this works.

I've setup an NSArray to store the selected instruments.
In fact I've problems creating the NSIndexSet of the selected instruments and
not knowing where to put the whole code.

Should I put the code in
In outlineView: objectValueForTableColumn:byItem:(id)item or in
outlineView:setObjectValue:forTableColumn:byItem:  ?

Putting it in the NSOutlineView notification method
-(void)outlineViewSelectionDidChange:(NSNotification *)notification is bad idea
(I think) since then
the NSButtons are only changing their state if the row of the NSOutlineView is
highlighted / selected.

I want to have the user change the state of the buttons whithout first
selecting the row of the outlineview.

So should I alway recreate a new NSIndexSet for the selected NSButtonCells ? If
yes in which method should I put the code ?

Maybe there's a more elegant solution to this….any clues ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gilles