.service bundles are supposed to be in ~/Library/Services/ folder
(which you can't use if you are writing for the Mac App Store). Not
sure if they are recognized within your own bundle. The .service
bundle is designed for dynamic bundles, but clearly hasn't been
updated to support the MAS restrictions on apps.

For Mac App Store apps, there is no good way to currently specify
dynamic services.

Also, there is yet another Services-related bug, specifically in using
.service bundles for dynamic services. Specifically, the icon will
display a circle with a slash overlay because Finder doesn't see an
executable. This same icon will then show up next to your menu item in
the Services menu. Sadly, this has *not* been fixed in Lion either.

If you're getting a sense that Services is less than half-baked, join
the club and file bugs related to these issues with Apple so that
hopefully someone will fix them, maybe by the time Mac OS XIII comes
out (it took ~10 years for Apple to take a look at issues in Services
dating back to 10.0).

Mark

--
Mark Munz