On Mar 3, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Per Bull Holmen wrote:

> How about just work with your regular expressions
> and try to narrow down the patterns it will accept?

I’d much rather people used a system library, or at least searched around to
find a really good and well-tested regexp that other apps have used. It’s
annoying when an app can’t highlight a URL properly, especially on iOS where
it’s really awkward to open a URL that isn’t auto-highlighted.

I’ve seen URL highlighters break in lots of ways, like
— not recognizing URLs that don’t contain the scheme, like “www.apple.com”
— only recognizing a short hardcoded list of schemes. This annoyed me when I
worked at Apple, where “rdar:” URLs are very often used to refer to bug IDs.
— breaking off in the middle of the URL if it got split up with a newline by a
mail transfer agent
— breaking off a URL at a character that’s valid but someone though wasn’t,
like a + or *
— not ignoring a trailing comma or period at the end of a URL used in a sentence

Et cetera. Yes, I once worked on an app that had its own URL highlighter
(iChat), and we got a surprising number of bug reports about it for reasons
like the above. For something conceptually simple, it was a pain to maintain.
Don’t write your own if you can avoid it.

—Jens