On Mar 4, 2012, at 8:43 AM, R wrote:

> You no longer have to shorten an URL before sending it to Twitter...
> but if you do such, realizing perfect is not the goal, you should do
> reasonable dueDiligence on the quality of the URL.

Oh, this is about URL shortening? I’m strongly against that practice. It
obfuscates the meaning, slows down browsing, makes it much easier for malware
to spread itself, runs tons of traffic through domains whose DNS is controlled
by unsavory governments that happen to have cute TLDs like “.ly” or “.my”, and
lets the service owners snoop (sorry, “derive analytics”) on what people are
clicking.

> Take a look at the Twitter iPhone app.  Enter a URL and watch how it
> deals with character counts.

Couldn’t we just put this effort into convincing Twitter that it would be
useful to allow messages than one hundred and forty fucking characters?  This
has gone from being a technical limit of SMSs, to a cutesy affectation.

(Sorry to have gone off-topic; I’m just explaining why I’m not going to
contribute to solving this particular issue.)

—Jens