Thanks for all the answers.

1. I'll read the ThreadSafetySummary. So far I had only read the Threading section of the Objective C Programming Language.

2. Accessing the progress values of the subprojects seems the way to go here.

3. Creating a proxy mutable array seems like overkill. Basically this is a thread-safe subclass of NSMutableArray, correct?

4. @Don Quixote: interesting lecture. Now I know what 'lockfree" means.

To improve performance share as little data as possible, access it as infrequently as possible and if you access it at all, finish what you're doing with the shared data as quickie as you can.

In this case the subprojects shouldn't update their progress values too often. Only if additional progress is more than 1% for example.

Jan E.