On Mar 14, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Wade Tregaskis wrote:

> Having a UI framework that either offloads some of this for you can actually
> be very useful.  It would also be closer to the user experience we're trying
> to portray - for example, that each document on an app is totally
> independent.  Having all documents hang because one is having issues (Safari
> I'm looking at you, you evil bastard) completely breaks that illusion.

BeOS ran every window’s event loop on a separate thread. I never coded for that
OS so I don’t know how well it worked in practice. I’m a little suspicious of
it, in that it would end up making the code of any real app multithreaded.

One of the nice things about Cocoa IMHO is that, if you don’t want to deal with
thread-safety issues, you can go a very long way writing single-threaded app
code. This is great for newbies and more generally follows the principle of
“simple things should be simple”. I rarely use threads myself. But if every
window has a thread, than any shared resource in the app that’s used by
multiple windows has to be explicitly made thread-safe.

—Jens