I am sure this must be covered somewhere, but my searches come to nought.

Using bindings, I wish to persist the state of an app ( for example, a slider's
value).

Current test app is thus.

A slider, whose value is bound to a "model" float value via an appropriate
NSController ( in this case, an objectController).  A textField, similarly
bound, reflects the value of the slider as the slider updates the model. All
this works as expected.
I am able to implement NSUserDefaults by binding the appropriate controls ( in
this case, for example the slider) to a shared user defaults controller in IB,
but this, as expected, either sets  some factory default or restores the last
user state. What I wish to have happen, is a situation where model and view AND
last user value saved and restored using the "bindings" model.
Is this possible?
I would be most grateful for a pointer in the right direction.