> The problem of course, is that in order to allow that, the framework itself
> has to be locking things all over the place, regardless of whether or not an
> app is actually accessing any particular data from multiple threads, because
> now the framework has to assume that might happen.

Yes and no.  Or, maybe.  There are many possible implementations.  For example,
you could have a designated thread/queue for each separate
window/document/whatever, as I suggested, in which case the mutual exclusion is
largely implicit and disappears in the noise.

In any case, uncontested locks (if done correctly) are not very expensive at
all.  Not at the granularity we're talking about here.