First, what Roland said. In addition to that, keep in mind that when you code

self.imagePicker = aPicker;
anotherPicker = self.imagePicker;

it is best to assume that aPicker and anotherPicker are different objects (even
if ... is empty, there may be other threads, or the setPicker code may do
something unexpected with its input). Roland's temp variable is safe, using
temp, you know you will be releasing the object you allocated, the one you own.
With the code above, you lose the one you own and then release its doppelgänger
instead.

Aaron