On Mar 15, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 08:15 PM, Keith Knauber wrote:
>> The goal is to update this cocoa GUI app at up to 30 fps, with as little
>> impact on my real-time thread and a separate apps' video frame rate as
>> possible.
>
> I must ask, what the heck are you actually updating at 30Hz? That will
> inform the best approach.
30 Hz: an NSOpenGLView, plus 2 custom NSViews with thumbnail size video streams
and status text, a timecode NSTextField, and an NSTableView
             The NSOpenGLView and NSTableView always update at 30Hz,
10 Hz: various other text fields, sliders, status buttons.
If I detect lag, I scale back UI refresh rate accordingly, (except for the
timecode field and NSTableView, to give user illusion that Cocoa is keeping up)

It would be nice to detect how busy the other app is talking to the video card
is, so I could scale back GUI drawing using that information.
I looked at things like CVDisplayLink, but it didn't look like it necessarily
would fix performance problem?  Would like to know if its worth pursuing.

~Keith