mparchet,
Let Core Data do the heavy lifting for you, that is what it is there for.
If you use an array controller with your UI and set up bindings you can get
away with out writing any code to make the base of your UI work.
If I remember correctly you can send your own SQL queries but you can do
_almost_ anything you need to do easier through Core Data so you should really
question anytime you start to make your own queries.
If you need some guidance on using Core Data with a financial related app check
out my blog @ http:www.theMikeSwan/blog, I wrote a sample app for tracking
expenses that may be of assistance to you.

As for fetch requests, they are really useful for doing searches of the data.

Above all keep in mind that Core Data is NOT a database, it is a persistence
framework. If you think of it as a database you will just make your life harder.

Hope this helps,
Mike Swan
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician
http://www.theMikeSwan.com

"The Ego is the little self that pretends to be the only self and speaks so
loudly that the still, small voice of the Greater Self, whose whisperings come
from within the Soul, are rarely heard - unless we learn to listen."