I've got a simple, single-column, view-based NSTableView with items in it that
can be dragged to reorder them. During drag and drop, I'd like to make it so
that a gap for the item-to-be-dropped opens up at the location under the mouse.
GarageBand does something like this when you drag to reorder tracks (video
here: http://www.screencast.com/t/OmUVHcCNSl). As far as I can tell, there's no
built in support for this in NSTableView.

Has anyone else tried to add this behavior to NSTableView and found a good
solution? I've thought of and tried a couple approaches without much success.
My first thought was to double the height of the row under the mouse during a
drag by sending -noteHeightOfRowsWithIndexesChanged: in my data source's
-tableView:validateDrop:... method, then returning twice the normal height in
-tableView:heightOfRow:. Unfortunately, best I can tell, NSTableView doesn't
update its layout during drag and drop, so despite calling
noteHeightOfRowsWithIndexesChanged:, the row height isn't actually updated.

Note that I'm using a view-based NSTableView, but my rows are not so complex
that I couldn't move to a cell-based table view if doing so helped accomplish
this.

Thanks,
Andrew