> I filed a bug report under "other" asking them to increase the numbers of
> attendees at future WWDC.

I thought this for a long time, but then came to the realisation that what's
really valuable about WWDC just doesn't scale:  access to Apple engineers.

This wasn't always the case.  The WWDC presentations used to be jealously
guarded treasures. Now they're much more readily available.  There's still some
benefit to actually attending - you'll be able to access sessions from the
conference indefinitely, rather than only for a year or two afterwards - and
there are networking aspects and 3rd party events etc.  But I think these pale
in comparison to the exclusive utility of Apple engineer access.

I'd even go so far as to say that today, if you're not spending most of your
time in the labs or otherwise hunting down people to address specific issues,
you're detracting from the common good (in the sense that there's a lot of
others out there who missed out on WWDC tickets who would be doing just that,
in your place).

Likewise for people that walk into the labs and say things like "So I just
opened Xcode for the first time - how's it work?".  As an Apple engineer
working the labs a couple of years, I have to admit I really dreaded that level
of question, on so many levels.  I couldn't fathom how someone could throw down
thousands of dollars to attend a conference yet not be enough into development
to actually use and know a bit about the tools involved.  Treating the
developer labs like CS 101 is the most expensive class you'll ever pay for.

Keep in mind that if you sufficiently impress an Apple engineer, whether by
being generally clever / entertaining / generous / interesting - all largely
functions of the type of problem you go to them with - then some will be
willing to give you their direct contact details, and you can follow up with
them after the conference.  Maybe even on other issues, and some time later.
And they can use that time to really dig into your issue, back in their office,
and give you a precise answer you just can't get in a face-to-face meeting.