I'm trying to use Help Indexer.app after a long while and a few
upgrades of a working help project. When trying to select the
MyHelp.help bundle, I can't because its grayed out. Any ideas?

But I can get into the bundle on the command line, so I go into the
dirs and try to use hiutil as shown in the man page (-Caf), and then
follow up with hiutil -Af, but it keeps returning null.

$ hiutil -Caf ./MyHelp.index . (tried current dir, top level dir, etc...)
$ hiutil -Af ./MyHelp.index
(null)

My structure looks like this.
MyHelp.help/