I'm trying to create a retina ready version of my application's icon. The
application targets 10.5+. I'm using Uli Kusterer's oldiconutil
(https://github.com/uliwitness/oldiconutil) to post process the .icns file I
make from a .iconset using iconutil on 10.8.

The problem is that if I include a 1024x1024 icon ("icon_512x...@2x.png"), the
icon does not display on 10.5. Finder doesn't display the icon, and when it is
opened in Icon Composer on 10.5, it appears to be blank/empty. If I remove this
largest size, the icon displays correctly on 10.5. Interestingly, if I
substitute a completely different, simpler 1024x1024 image with a much smaller
file size (~300K instead of ~1MB), the icon again works fine on 10.5. So it
seems that there may be some limit on the file size of the overall .icns file
and/or the individual image chunks in a .icns file that when exceeded breaks
compatibility with Leopard.

Compressing the 1024x1024 image with TinyPNG (http://tinypng.org/) was not
enough to fix the problem. It did result in a significantly smaller .icns file
before running it through oldiconutil, but the final, JPEG2000 compressed
output of oldiconutil was still much larger than the variant using a simpler
substitute image, presumably because the more complicated image is simply not
as compressible.

Has anyone else run into this problem before? Have you found a solution? If I
can't figure out a solution, I'll have to just omit a retina ready application
icon until I drop support for 10.5.

Thanks,

Andrew Madsen